Thursday, May 20, 2021

TEXAS: MARBLE FALLS

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

After visiting Longhorn Cavern, we drove to the town of Marble Falls, where we were planning to spend the night. Lake Marble Falls is actually a reservoir, and we had a good view of it from our hotel room window. (We never saw any falls, and I'm not sure there are any.)


Marble Falls is pretty small town--just 6,000 or so people. For such a small town, it had an impressive outdoor art scene in its downtown where there are a series of pieces that make up what is known as "Sculpture on Main."

Some of it is a little kooky.

Some of it made me hungry.

Some of it is inspirational.


Most of it is just fun, and a lot of it is for sale.

On the left, Come Dance with Me by Jerry Daniel (available for $17,500). On the right, Leo by Pokey Park (available for $16,000).

On the left, Home to Roost by Bobby Peiser ($1500), and on the right, a mariachi band that I did not get the name, artist, or price for.

Early Bird by Jason Crosier ($6,000) and Hoopsalotta by Bobby Peiser ($3,000):

One of my favorites was Batik by Marla Ripperda ($4,000). Check out the close-up of the bird's feathers.

I couldn't find the name/artist/price for either of these, but they are an interesting contrast.

A couple of "people sculptures": New Discoveries by Dan Pogue and one I creatively named Flute Player on Cement-Eating Horse.

Balance of Power by Warren Cullar ($4,750):

At the end of our walk we found an orchestra of musical instruments available for anyone to play.




What's not to love about a little town that puts this much effort into art? They have a terrific ice cream and candy shop to boot, and we read that there is a good place for pie as well, but we were too late to visit it.

2 comments:

  1. I was a little disappointed in Marble Falls. I'd looked at one or two other destinations for this night, such as Fredericksburg, and I think Fredericksburg looked like a better choice. Marble Falls was very stretched out and did not have a small-town feel to me. I did like our hotel for the night, however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful piece! How fun to know it is evolving AND traveling!

    ReplyDelete