Tuesday, April 26, 2022

TEXAS, HOUSTON: THE GRAFFITI BUILDING AND SHIPLEY DO-NUTS

 November 29, 2021

Bob knows I love street art/good graffiti, and somehow he found out about the Houston Graffiti Building, located near downtown Houston, and added it to our itinerary. A bunch of old industrial buildings have been "repurposed" as an outdoor art museum. There don't appear to be businesses inside these buildings as the parking lot only had the cars of the people who came to take pictures of the art. 

I don't think any of the art is meant to be permanent, and the pictures I have found online of this site are different than the ones I took, but this is how I will remember our visit. I don't think too many words are needed--just enjoy.

This video shows the front section parallel to the parking lot. From here we circumnavigated the complex until we returned to the parking lot.




Yeah, that's me cradled in the astronaut's hands:











These next three photos are of some of my favorite walls for obvious reasons.

This says "Call your grandparents."


Back to the front by the parking lot:


Another mural on a business across the street deserves a mention. This is a 21st century Degas.
 
Well, after all that walking we were tired and hungry, so when we saw a Shipley Do-Nuts we had to stop for some nourishment. Shipley has more than 300 franchises in the Southern US, but we had never visited any of them. Since the company is headquartered in Houston, this seemed like a good time. 

They sell over 60 varieties of do-nuts (their spelling) and 6 different kolaches (a Czech breakfast treat of pastry wrapped around sausage and filled with cheese and/or jalapeños). I don't remember getting any kolaches, but we got quite a few donuts. They were fresh, soft, moist, and very tasty.

In case you are not convinced, here are some close-up glamor shots:


Are you hungry now? I am! If  Bob ever makes me go takes me back to Texas, I know what I will request be on our itinerary.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a very groovy place

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just trying to decipher your last comment: are you asking me to take you back to Texas? All I can say is you appear to have found a few things you enjoyed there. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete